Monday, November 22, 2010

5 Minutes of Fame

As always, I dream of updating this blog daily, but it just doesn't happen... Could be due to various factors, largely revolving around my lack of spare time. C'est la vie.

For various reasons, this year has brought many new experiences to my life, one of them being that I have aquired a very small, low key, nano-sized amount of celebrity status in my very (VERY) normal non-celebrity life. I am going to enjoy every minute of it because I can garauntee that it is going to come to a very abrupt hault in the very near future. My start of star-dom began back in March when I was contacted by a reportor from The Calgary Herald, asking if she could do a story on me about teenage obesity, weightloss, inspiring stories, etc, etc, etc. It turns out my mom had accomplished her motherly duty and advertised my story when replying to an editorial about teenage obesity, they thought it was worth a story (who knew?) and I got a whole half page with a giant picture. You can read this story here: http://www.calgaryherald.com/health/Marathoner+shares+lesson+healthy+living/2625818/story.html

Who knew that people actually read the newspaper? I showed up at both school and work that day and someone had posted the article on the wall for everyone to read. It's humbling to be the center of attention (not that I really minded it for a brief moment). Coincidentally, this article ran in the paper less than 2 weeks before we dealt with our condo fire, which was actually quite a story for Calgary. Craig and I ended up being all over the news (the media loved us cause we had a dramatic firefighter/kitten rescue and we had a pretty good sob story...10 days away from moving). The newspaper article brought about a shocking amount of attention, I got the most random emails and requests - how did people find me anyways? Someone asked me to run a race to support the troops in the middle east (what they heck? - the article was talking about teenage obesity, not my political opinions). I was asked to film an episode on "X-weighted" (aka Canada's low budget version of Biggest Loser), I never saw it air, but the thought of seeing myself on TV doesn't really excite me. Anyways, my fame simmered down until I was contacted by someone from Impact magazine wanting to do a story on me for their inspirational athlete's section. Again, I am humbled (and feeling ever so slightly awkward) cause my life doesn't feel very inspirational, it just feels like me, living my normal life, highly entertained by very simple things. My Impact story was in the Sept/Oct issue (I can't find an online link to prove it, so you'll just have to believe me). On top of all this fame (sadly, no fortune), I write a weekly nutrition article for this fabulous-high-traffic blog (it's my blog, I can advertise all I want): http://www.figandfennel.wordpress.com/ (I go by the alias Ironsister on here - as in, it's my sisters blog). THEN - I was recently contacted by someone on Calgary's CityTV to be on Breakfast TV. They scheduled me a few weeks back but I was bumped for a better story (I guess this is common for Z-list stars), as of now, I am reschedule for December 2 to talk about my opinion on staying fit through the winter months (from a normal person's perspective). If I get bumped again, I won't be offended. What on earth am I going to wear?

I say all this for one reason: I was brought back to real life this past week at a Mach 3 speed. I was quickly reminded that I am, in no way, shape or form, a celebrity runner. In fact, I am so far from it, almost like the equivalent of saying that Naomi Campbell and I are twins. Let me state the many reasons why: The world does not accomodate my running schedule. Not even a little bit. This could be seen in the fact that I work 12 hour shifts, that means I run at either 430 in the morning before a 12 hour shift, 730 in the evening after a 12 hour shift, 430 in the afternoon before a 12 hour shift, or 730 in the morning after a 12 hour shift. In Calgary, all of these options mean that it is cold and there is snow and it is dark (for 11.89 months anyways). If I was a celebrity runner, I would roll out of bed after a good long sleep in (till 630) and choose to do a run at my leisure. Next, the weather hates me. I can take the cold, in fact, I embrace it -bring it on! I can dress for it, and I have no problem looking like a complete idiot with frosted eyelashes and multiple layers, but the ice... I cannot fight it, it always seems to win. As a celebrity runner, I would live in a different climate and I would have a cleared 100 kms of private pathway to use whenever I chose. Further, senior citizens hate me. In fact they loathe me. I don't know why, but whenever I am out running and seniors see me, for some reason, they move in to the middle of the sidewalk, making it impossible for me to pass without getting a shoe full of snow (or mud puddle), and they glare the entire time. I try my very hardest to follow all of the courtesy running rules that exist, and when I see a senior citizen coming, I put on my nicest, sincerest smile ever (the same smile I give patients as I'm going in for a good deep tracheal suction), they still hate me. Also, I have come to realize that I actually yeild to pets. That's right. I have to leave the sidewalk so that another pedestrians dog can keep their paws dry and clean. I'm pretty sure that celebrity runners do not deal with this (well, I bet senior citizens hate them too, but they aren't subjected to running through seniorville on their way to the entrance of Fish Creek Park).

My list could go on and on - but the truth is, no matter how many times I have a small brush with fame, I'm just a normal girl doing a normal (somewhat) hobby. Luckily, for me, I don't do it for anyone or anything else, and every mud puddle I run through, every glaring look I get from the 75plus population, every thermal layer and odd timed run is more than worth it for me. Plus, maybe my idea of a celebrity runner isn't totally accurate...

In other important news, the Boston trip is totally and completely booked, which brings me a sigh of relief and more excitment. Thanks to my travel agent cousin, we got some great flights, and decided to extend our trip by an extra day... There was just WAY too much to fit in to such a short time, so now we are going from the Friday until the Tuesday (race day is Monday). I found us a good hotel (by good, I actually mean affordable) that is about 4 miles from the finish line, it's not ideal (See! - all the celebrity runners will be staying right downtown in the Financial District of Boston where all the action is) - but that would have required lottery winnings to afford. Although the website makes this hotel look more than adequate, I have a bad reputation for Hotel bookings as it was my responsibility to book a Hotel for a Seattle Marathon trip a few years back - it ended up being a Howard Johnson that was literally attached to an S&M store in a exceptionally low-income area. We refer to it as the "HoJo in the Hood"... I thought I would redeem myself at the most recent Vancouver Marathon when I booked us in to the Fairmont Hotel Vancouver, with which we were upgraded to the Gold Club (can you say - "Way out of our league!"), but that actually made it worse because I feel like I could get used to the extreme posh-ness. Cambridge Super8 - please don't let me down.

As for training - well, I'm always in training (often for no reason). I think in January I'll think of a game plan to keep things exciting, until then, I'll stick with my usual 80 ish kilometers a week.



Tis the season for Cute-ness!

1 comment:

  1. as IF the gold suite was out of our league!!!

    ReplyDelete