Monday, January 31, 2011

Deep Freeze

76 days left to count down... seems like the time is flying by. It's kind of bitter sweet. As excited as I am for my big day to arrive, it seems a little bit sad that I only have 76 more days to live in the greatest anticipation that one could experience. Must enjoy every moment! While I'm on the topic of count downs... I only have 43 more practicum shifts, which in theory is only 41 cause I'm pretty sure I won't be able to make it to the April 17th and 18th shifts that I'm scheduled for, and I should have enough hours to just be "sick" (as if EVERYONE that I work with isn't well aware that I'm not sick). As for my job, I can't really say how many shifts are left as I haven't decided on a definitive quit date. I should be hearing about Respiratory Therapy jobs later this month (please send good references), in which case I will decide if perhaps I can survive one income-less month, then I will quit for the beginning of April. If my responsible, money hungry, self dominates, I'll work until the end of April. Decisions, decisions...

Last week Calgary experienced a small taste of spring. I tried so hard not to let myself enjoy it too much, as I was certain that old man winter would make an appearance again. As it turns out, he did, particularly when I woke up to -32 degrees and about 17 feet of snow this morning (and all weekend). However, for the glorious sunshiney +12 degrees week we had I couldn't contain my running legs and did two long runs, back to back, on my days off. Last Tuesday I ran 34 km in 2:55, 5:15 min/km (did not intend on that distance but just could not contain myself), then 24 km on Wednesday (approx 2 hours, 5 min/km). It was heaven. Then the deep freeze rolled around and I just couldn't consciously run in the extremely icy conditions without feeling incredibly irresponsible (please note: broken elbow from said conditions in 2007), so I succumbed to a treadmill run (shutter), only the 3rd one this winter, which is pretty good. Luckily the snow plows (aka husbands) are out in full force, and the sidewalks are clear again. Thank God! Now just to deal with the temperatures...

With my race date fast approaching, I have started to consider that my deadline for "race-day-apparel" is fast approaching. This decision is obviously right up there with husband-selection and first-time-home purchasing. This leads me to various panic attacks. Without a well thought out, tested, game plan in this situation, it really could make or break the entire future of my memory bank. Consider this: I complete Boston marathon (#1 on Jacquelyn's bucket list, life long bragging rights) wearing out-of-date, ill-fitting, clashing attire. I might as well just stay home and work those two ER shifts that I'll be "sick" for. I ran in to this problem during my Ironman seasons. I was NOT into the typical triathlon-unitard. Not that I'm against unitards, in fact, the idea of it intrigues me. The issue for me is that I suffer from shy-bladder disease and I need full on bathroom breaks (that involve actually sitting on the germ infested port-au-privy seat, after thoroughly lacing with TP) for complete bladder draining. I can't imagine having to undress and redress the unitard for every pee break. I am incapable of peeing on the bike (and yes, it does happen). I had to really shop around to find comfortable, bathroom friendly, triathlon attire. I'm also picky in the t-shirt/tank top department, as I tend to be on the warmer side (as in, prefer tank tops), but tend to get armpit "chub rub" after my bodyglide has worn off (usually around hour 2). My abnormal pain tolerance doesn't usually notice it until I have blood dripping down my side and saturating my torso. Never good for the finish-line picture. I am fairly certain that I will wear my favorite running shorts, the standard Nike running shorts, as they are my favorite and I have them in every color, so lots to choose from (by every color, I mean every shade of pink, and one pair of purple). I've never suffered from inner thigh "chub rub", which is a relief, as I definately prefer shorts to tights (weather permitting) when I run.

Not that I'm not a huge fan of Lululemon, and they have great stuff - but sometimes I do find that their stuff (although great quality) is far more fashionable than functional - low waist, daisy duke running shorts are not really functional, nor are plunging neck lines. Just saying.... But the availability of various pink hues attracts my attention at an alarming rate.

I'm not suggesting that I need to actually go out and buy a new outfit for this race (but who are we kidding... I probably will), however I do need to consider all my options and start seriously considering my game plan. Of course weather will contribute just slightly, but like I mentioned, I am a running "hot body", which is helpful for my thermoregulation and helpful for "spring weather variability". As for the post race outfit - The Boston marathon jacket debut - obviously (did I really even need to write this), laurel wreath (depending on my 1st place success, but if I'm being positive) and medal.

Alison recently finished reading the 26 Miles to Boston book that I bought a few months ago, and now she is thoroughly versed in Boston lingo which has proved helpful to make us look outstandingly cultured at various social events recently. Doesn't everyone know all about the Citgo sign? No? Well... we do.


...One mile left....

No comments:

Post a Comment