Friday, March 25, 2011

Golden Numbers

The Bib numbers and start times have been assigned to the Boston Marathon athletes, which I have been anxiously awaiting. My golden numbers are: 13872. I'll be starting in the 2nd wave (of 3) and within my wave I'll be in the 5th corral (of 9). I am happy to see that I am far closer to the front of the pack than I anticipated, I always expected myself to be one of those runners who just squeezed in by a few seconds... I guess I had minutes to spare, and being in the youngest age group makes my requirements the fastest. There are 27000 athletes, we are numbered according to our qualifying time (1-100 are reserved for the elite), the first wave includes numbers 100-8999, second wave 9000-17999 (that would be me) and the thrid wave 18000-27000. Each wave has 9 corrals (1000s runners each), and I'm pretty sure they are bringing the troops back from the middle east just to keep all of us "die hards" in line (literally). Heaven forbid corral #3 has 1200 athletes and corral #4 only 800! Apparently you can make arrangements to go in to waves or corrals that are behind your scheduled position, but of course, not in front. Not sure who would do this as we are systematically assigned based on our running ability (and good looks) -which would be fitting that I am in the top half (just the type of person that I always try to be...). I have to catch my shuttle bus between 630 am and 7am to get shipped out to Hopkington High School where I will be herded up with the rest of the cattle (athletes) until my 10:20 start time (but I am allowed to enter my corral at 9:35). I'm thinking my ironman experience will prove to be helpful, cause this is gonna be a long day! Especially considering I don't remember the last time I STARTED my long run at 10:20, I'm usually done well before that. Oh well, flexibility is worth it for the right cause. I wonder if it takes an additional American government of elected officials to plan the details and logistics of this race?



Our welcome packages and race number pick up cards are being sent out next week, which makes me wonder if I should set up camp in front of my mail box until it's arrival? Starting to feel all the excitment like it's really gonna happen! Also new this year, all of my fans and gathering can follow my race with the AT&T Athlete Alert. You can register on the Boston Marathon website with your email address and recieve my updates at 10 km, halfway, 30 km and finish line - you'll have to use my bib number (13872) to register.



Alison and I have yet to make our race day game plan. Although we usually have races mapped out and organized as per our "extreme planning personality disorder", this race may be a bit different. I think the mass crowds and amount of athletes might limit our ability to do to much, so once we get to Boston, we'll probably find a good landmark (involving coffee and Boston creme's) and meet there after the race. I think I'll decide on my post race victory meal closer to the time as well - the options are just to endless and overwhelming for me to address at this time.



Anyways, this was lots of information overload for me this week, and I have thoroughly enjoyed researching all the new details including future tatoo designs with the numbers 13872 (kidding). The weather in Calgary continues to be dismal, including a freezing rain run yesterday morning (more like a skate) and long, cold, snowy 30 km (5:10 min/km - just to keep warm) run today (however, the horror frost really was spectacular). Makes me think that I really need a vacation... soon, so soon! In fact, I'll be on a plane this time in 3 weeks...

No comments:

Post a Comment