Monday, May 2, 2011

The Big Day in Pictures

So hard to believe that the race was already two weeks ago! Since I last wrote on here - I've run the most elite marathon in the world, finished 10 years of post secondary education, and driven up the hill for the last time to the Foothills Hospital (old job). It would appear that I like to cram everything together - but the truth is, it's almost been too much all at once. Would have been nice to enjoy each moment a bit more, if it would have been within my control. Oh well.... I start my Respiratory Therapist job on Monday, May 9th, although my week off is timely and much needed, I am incredibly excited to start up again next week - not just everyone in the world gets to work their dream job - so I will gladly be apart of the few who have total job satisfaction (remind me of this at 2 am when there is a code blue situation happening).

Enough about all of this other unimportant business though - there are far better things to talk about!!! As expected, Boston was spectacular in every way that I imagined! The city, the food, the race, the jacket - it was total perfection for me. Below is a pictor-o-blog of heaven on earth...

Arriving in Boston, the city welcomed athletes with open arms. I read somewhere that Boston brings in equivalent income from Marathon weekend as does Superbowl weekend (so they better welcome us with open arms...):

Some of the famous landmarks that I read about ahead of time, and took note of along the race route:



First things first, the food. So. Good:



Real Boston Pizza:



At the race expo, which was the best one I've ever been at (x 20 previous marathon race expo's), picking up number 13872. It was organized quite well considering I have never run in a race such as this where there are 10's of thousands of athletes. It was quite busy, but we went early on Saturday, so there was still lots of energy and goodies. Unlike a lot of other races that I participated in, I was very surprised at the level of athletes that were surrounding us! I suppose when you are having a 10 km race and a half marathon and full marathon, you can attract all shapes, sizes, ages, etc. But for this race, it really appeared that it was reserved for the best of the best, just by all of the people that were flocking through the doors of the expo (ahem... this included me of course):



The finish line, two days before the race. Glad I got a close and personal look at it cause it was pretty crazy on race day:



Fearless travel partners! This was at Boston Common, it was the first day we were in Boston, the wind was so chilly, but still sunny and beautiful. The next couple of days were ideal weather, couldn't have asked for warmer or sunnier. The backpack I'm wearing was soon filled with race expo goodies, lugging it around for the rest of the day and an entire walking tour of the city proved to be an ironman in itself! By the end of the day, it was refered to as the effin' backpack. Amoung things like Boston Common, the Financial District and the Race Expo, we also walked to the markets, through the North side and spent quite a bit of time in Harvard Square (probably our favorite for shops and food). It really was spectacular, the city has amazing history and architecture, but it helps that Alison and my interests were very similar (markets, food, shops, etc):





I took my phone with me on the run for the camera, but just didn't want to pull it out much as that competitive runner in me just couldn't succumb. I did get this picture though, at the top of Heartbreak hill, between mile 20 and 21 at Boston College. I think I'm quite a strong hill runner, I didn't feel that the Newton hills were half as bad as "they" say, HOWEVER, the down hills were killer on the knees, as "they" warned:



And of course, the famous Citgo sign, entering Boston, 1 mile left. Kind of decieving as you can see it for about 2 miles before you reach it, but was cool nontheless. I actually saw it as we were flying in to Logan International two days earlier, I didn't realize how large it really was. As you can see, many people were out cheering like maniacs, this was another pretty amazing I've never experience, 26.2 miles of complete fan coverage! I was deafened by screech tunnel (Wellesley Girls College, Mile 13), and to be honest, almost exhausted by the constant cheering (weird, I know). I will say though, running the Boston marathon is the best way to feel like a million bucks, cause it felt to me like there were literally millions of people on that course cheering just for me (nevermind the other 27000 or so runners). Kinda makes you run with your head just a little higher:



And of course, the final moments...



But... I can't seem to do anything without some kind of additional challenge. So I conquered the world's most elite road race with a baby on the way. 5 and a half months pregnant... It took me 28 years to fulfill this dream, and now my first born has completed the Boston Marathon at 22 weeks gestation. Lucky boy! Anyways, this can also be my disclaimer for a final time of 4 hours 35. I've had a perfect pregnancy and I would have given up running Boston with no hesitation if it would have been necessary - HOWEVER - please stay tuned for my sub 3:30 marathon redemption in early 2012:




Overall, this trip was amazing, I am so happy that I was able to participate in and complete the Boston Marathon. Considering that this was my #1 life-long goal, I suppose it would be safe to say that there are many emotions to process after an experience to this extent. In the past, I've even had some cases of post race blues. But it's funny how things change when becoming a parent is on your horizon. My goals and accomplishments suddenly matter far less, because I may have dreamed of running Boston, or completing an Ironman - But more significantly I always knew that I would have kids one day, it sort of seems like lifes ultimate gift... How does a medal (or 21...) mean much when in a few shorts months I'll learn a whole new meaning of love - if not already. So when I crossed the 115th Boston Marathon Finish line on April 18, 2011, I had a wonderful moment of self satisfaction, but when I meet my son on August 25th - I think then is when I really start to live.




With all that said, I HIGHLY doubt that there are any other parents in my generation who can brag about their child completing the Boston marathon. Well... I can. And... I will.

No comments:

Post a Comment